Wednesday, September 9, 2009

NO MORE DING DONGS . . .

Recently, I was reading a blog on the top stress relievers. Activities such as reading, meditation, exercise and yoga were mentioned as possible stress relievers. Unfortunately, it didn't give what most people do to relieve stress. Drinking, taking medicines, and eating are probably more common to the average human being. Psychologists call this "self-medicating." These acts of "self-medicating" are the easiest way out. It's a way of covering the issue rather than dealing with it.

I know what I am speaking of. I have "self-medicated" with junk food and sweets for years. This is not healthy mentally, emotionally and of course physically (especially for a diabetic). And the funny thing about all of us, we know we are doing wrong. But why then is it so hard to change our behavior.

One area we don't turn to as much as we should when relieving stress is getting into the Word of God. Isn't it much easier to take a drink or eat a Ding Dong rather than diving into the Psalms?

During this stressful time of my life, I opened the Word of God this morning and ran across Psalm 19:7-9. It reminded me that the best medicine I could ever take is God's Word. Let me illustrate this breaking down the text:
  • "The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul"
God's Word is perfect, i.e., complete and without fault. It also converts my soul, in other words restores me to a good place.
  • "The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple"
God's Word is sure, i.e., without variable and movement. It is consistent and gives wisdom to simple minds in time of crisis and stress.
  • "The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart"
God's Word is right, i.e., straight and never wrong. It gives my heart rejoicing and joy in times of crisis and stress.
  • "The commandments of the Lord are pure, enlightening the eyes"
God's Word is pure, without any blemish or error. It gives me sight when I need direction.
  • "The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever."
God's Word is clean, once again without impurities so that it can be totally trusted.
  • "The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether"
God's Word is true and righteous, i.e., utterly dependable.

Let me put it this way, if someone, a friend or a counselor, told you that there was a book that was perfect for you, without any errors, and it built you up and gave you wisdom and direction, you would buy it without any regard for the price.

That's God's Word. If you are stressed or going through a tough time, turn to it. Pray for God to show you which chapter to turn to. He will guide you.

It's better than eating a Ding Dong. I promise it.

Blessings,

Jody Hinkle

No comments:

Post a Comment